The berry, from a plant called the sea buckthorn, has been used for centuries as a medicinal product. Rich in antioxidant vitamins, healthy fatty acids and other nutrients, seabuckthorn berry is currently used in a range of products, from skin creams, dietary supplements, and edible oils. Seabuckthorn is a thorny shrub that grows 2 to 4 feet in height. The sea buckthorn berry is about half a centimeter in diameter and turns bright orange as it ripens by September. Sea buckthorn herb has been used for skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema, and burns and it may reduce inflammation.
Seabuckthorn Uses : By Dr Y. K. Bhoon and Dr Maya Ram Uniyal
- Sea buckthorn seed & sea buckthorn berry oils increase cardiovascular health through lingams, vitamins, antioxidants, omega 3, omega 6, omega 7 and omega 9
- Sea buckthorn regenerates skin cells, supports prostate health, hormone balance and is anti-ageing.
- Sea buckthorn seed oil promotes white blood cell health, relieves pain & accelerates the repair process of gastric & duodenal epithelial tissue & mucosa.
- Sea buckthorn seed & sea buckthorn pulp [berry] oils used to alleviate symptoms of redness, inflammation, pustules, blemishes, itching, strengthen the immune system, inhibits dastardly gastric secretions and protects liver function.
- Sea buckthorn protects against inflammatory itis’. Such as arthritis, polyarthris and more due to the HIGH levels of beta-carotenes and anti-oxidants in the oils.
- Sea buckthorn seed oil was topically used [3-4 times a day] on 60 children [4 months-12 yrs] with ulcerative stomatitis. Significant improvement in 2 days w/all 60 cases, 55 cases cured in 3-5 days, 2 severe cases cured in 8 days
- Sea buckthorn seed & sea buckthorn berry [pulp] oils are anti-inflammatory with analgesic effects reported
- Sea buckthorn seed oil sprayed on topically once a day, cured cervititis after 3 months of treatment
- Sea buckthorn seed oil & sea buckthorn berry oil gets rid of inflamed skin, itching, pustules, demodex mites, bumps, dry, flaky skin
- Sea buckthorn seed and sea buckthorn berry [pulp] oils rejuvenate & regenerate the skin & body, inside and out
- Sea buckthorn seed oil & Sea buckthorn berry [pulp] oils mixed 1:1, orally for Dry mouth, 5g a day for 4 weeks, improves symptoms
- Sea buckthorn seed oil promotes tissue granulation for burns, wounds and scalds
- Sea buckthorn seed & sea buckthorn berry [pulp] oils reduce per oxidation of cell membranes
- Sea buckthorn seed oil helps regulate immune functions, antagonizing immune suppressants
- Sea buckthorn seed and sea buckthorn pulp, [berry] are used to reduce the immune suppressive & hem toxic effects of chemotherapy & irradiation therapy
- Mix of sea buckthorn seed and sea buckthorn pulp [berry] improved esophagitis caused by irradiation therapy
Sea buckthorn benefits
Sea buckthorn is an energizer, anti-anemic, abundant in vitamins, anti-inflammatory herb, and it also decreases appetite (in cases of treatments against obesity). At the same time it speeds up the recovery process after an illness, it’s a good coronary protector and it can also slow down the aging process.
Due to the presence of a large amount of vitamins that it contains (C, A, B1, B2, B6, B9, E, K, P, F, as well as phosphoric microelements, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and sodium), sea buckthorn is used effectively in treating liver failures, improving the detoxification of the hepatic cell. It contributes to the synthetization of proteins and through the considerable amount of carotene that it contains, it is also effective at preventing cancer. Furthermore, it gives a relaxing sensation with slightly narcotic effects. It also contains very high percentage of Omega3, 6, 7 and 9 thus very good in curing diabetes, brain related problem and reduces heart stroke risks. The products obtained were used in treating depressions, Parkinson diseases, tumors, adenomas and leukemia.
Sea buckthorn benefits in beauty : By Neelam Thakur
Sea Buckthorn is one of the best kept Anti-aging Secrets. Sea Buckthorn berry is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C (Non-Enzymatic Antioxidants are most important Vitamins required for Healthy and Glowing Skin), Vitamin B1, B2, and Essential Fatty Acids which is a rare combination. Skin care Products (especially Sunscreen and Anti-aging products). It has amazing skin repairing and regenerative properties.
Sea buckthorn Sharbat (a Poly herbal unmatchable formulation):
Fruit of seabuckthorn, is a store house of anti-oxidants and other bioactive substances with medicinal properties. Vitamin C value in seabuckthorn fruit varies from 300 to 2750 mg/100gm, which is 4-100 higher than many fruits and vegetables. Vitamin C is considered as a very strong antioxidant and protects us from many diseases. Organic acid content is 2-4% in the fruit juice, higher than most of the horticulture crops. Fruit is also rich protein and amino acids. High contents of these bioactive substances make the Seabuckthorn Juice a health protection drink for weak children, chronic patient daily workers, students, pregnant ladies and aged persons. Oils of Seabuckthorn fruits pulp and seeds, are very precious and of high quality due to presence of fat soluble anti-oxidants like vitamin E,K Carotenoids, and other compound like sterols etc, therefore possess strong anti-oxidant properties and have been found useful in wound healing, treatment of ulcer, skin disease, some forms of cancer, cardiovascular diseases and other chronic diseases.
Vitamin E is important dietary antioxidant, antioxidant, present in higher content in seabuckthorn fruit oil. Its most important anti-oxidant function appears to be the inhabitation of lipid per oxidation and scavenging lipid peroxyl radicals. Vitamin K plays an essential role in normal blood clotting and helps promote bone health. carotenoids reduces risk of heart disease , cancer and degenerative eye diseases like macular degeneration and cataract. There are many carotenoids in seabuckthorn fruit, among them beta-carotene is the most dominant & important and also a precursor of Vitamin A.
Seabuckthorn contain a strong anti-oxidant compound which is a free redical scavenger for most toxic radical hydroxyl radical (HO), inhibits the erythrocyte hemolysis, stress induced ulcer & diabetes. Super oxide dismutose (SOD) found in seabuckthorn is the first enzyme involved in the anti-oxidant. Sterols found in Seabuckthorn pulp possess cholesterol lowering, anti-cancer, anti-atherosclerosis, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
It is clinically proved that polyunsaturated essential fatty acids are good for human health. Seabuckthorn is a very good source -linoleic acid (omega-6-fats) and alpha- linoleic acid (omega-3-fats). The high content of palmitoleic acid, which is uncommon in the plant kingdom, distinguishes the seabuckthorn oil from other oils. It has positive effects on many physiological processes, including cholesterol and triglyceride lowering and stroke reducing effects.
Emblica officinalis (Indian Gooseberry):- Amla is one of th e strongest neutraceuticals in Indian herbs. It contains 30 times the amount of vitamin C found in oranges. The main speciality of the vitamin C of Amla is that which is resistant to storage and heat damage due to cooking. It is nutritious and is an important dietary source of vitamin C, minerals and aminoacids. The acid concentration of amla is 160-fold compared to that of apple. The fruit also contains considerabely higher concentration of most minerals and aminoacids than Apples. Emblica offinicalis is effective in the in the treatment of hyperacidity (Amalpitta) peptic ulcer and in dyspepsia. It is used for all pitta diseases, all obstinate urinary conditions, anemia, biliousness, bleeding colitis, constipation, convalescence from fever, cough, diabetes, gastritis, gout, hepatitis, piles, liver weakness, to relieve stress, osteoporosis, palpitation.
It contains Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus. Amla provides complete health by maintaining balance among htree doshes, vata., pitta, and kalpha. It controls digestive problems, mental and physical activities, improves eye sight, imparts lusture and glow of hair and body. Emblica offinicalis acts as a strong and antioxidant rejuventaring agent and is considered the best in preventing aging, it is the best tonic for heart, eyes and memory and improves general health, enhances resistance of body to various diseases, removes habitual constipation, improves cardiae functions and the main point is that it suites both sex groups of all ages. It is best suited for diabetic patients as it has low sugarand high fibre content. It has rich pectin content that decreases cholestrol levels in the body by curing constipation and strengthn the liver functioning amla is the best herb in curing scurvy, jaundice, other liver problems, Indigestion, acidity, constipation, mouth ulcers, premature hair lossand graying bleeding gums, common cold, needed for healthy bones .
Teeth, hair & nails and for regulations of blood sugar. It increases the the production of rede blood cells thus helping in increasing heomoglobin. Now days it has been proved highly beneficial in curing eye cataract and inflammations. It has been also proven that amla acts as anti-fungal, anti-viral & anti-bactorial. Amla nourishes all the body tissues and accelerates the cell regeneration process.